Our next installment of our AI content series is here, and this week we’re bringing you all the information we can about how you can use ChatGPT for email marketing.
With ChatGPT, I find that there are essentially two buckets you can sort its capabilities into: content creation help and data help. With email, it is no different. In this blog, I will break down how you can ask ChatGPT to help you with different tasks in your email marketing strategy and what the advantages are of doing this.
Follow along for information on the following sections:
- ChatGPT for email content creation
- ChatGPT for email subject line optimization
- ChatGPT for email list segmentation
- ChatGPT for email A/B testing
A note before we start:
In general, ChatGPT for content creation is going to be the simplest beast to tackle. This is because you can do everything you’d need to do simply inside of the ChatGPT chat itself. For the following three list items, you can certainly input data sets into ChatGPT by copying and pasting, but these are tasks that would only be strengthened by integrating ChatGPT into your email marketing platform via a plugin or API, which can require a little more expertise.
ChatGPT for email content creation
There are multiple ways that ChatGPT can help you create the content that is going to go out to your subscribers. First, ChatGPT can help with wording and can get you started if you’re absolutely stuck. In other words, ChatGPT is great for email inspiration or ideas. Let’s say you just need a welcome email for when a subscriber joins your mailing list but you’re really drawing a blank on what to put in it. Enter ChatGPT. This is the perfect kind of task to automate.
One must simply bear in mind ChatGPT’s limitations when asking it to generate an email – even if you give it great notes, it can still get confused. You will want to ensure that all the information it adds is correct. For instance, what if ChatGPT were to insert a random call to action that you did not mention because it deemed it relevant? You would want to double check its work.
ChatGPT can also act as a proofreading tool for all your content to make sure it is looking polished before going out. It can even provide suggestions to improve readability or conciseness in your writing.
One last way it can help is through translating. As a strong Natural Language Processing tool across a plethora of languages, it can help you translate your pre-existing content into another language, or even ask it a certain request in English and it can generate the content in another language. Here’s an example:
ChatGPT for email subject line optimization
As many email marketers know, getting a subscriber to see or open an email is half the battle. As content creators know, we often try many different combinations with no rhyme or reason and are left not really knowing what worked and what didn’t, or why something may have performed well or poorly. ChatGPT can help optimize your email subject lines to increase open rates.
When you take it one step further and integrate OpenAI into your email platform, it can even analyze your subscribers’ past behaviors and preferences to suggest subject lines that are more likely to grab their attention.
ChatGPT for email list segmentation
Oftentimes, what email marketers don’t know is hurting them. For instance, they may not know they are sending the same email twice to a certain subscriber every week because they haven’t set up the proper rules. ChatGPT can assist in segmenting your email list based on various criteria, such as demographic information, purchase history, and engagement level. This can help you deliver targeted and personalized emails to specific groups of subscribers.
There are two ways ChatGPT can help with this. First, like we mentioned above, it can help when you integrate ChatGPT into your email marketing platform.
Second, if that’s not an option, there are still options that ChatGPT can do in-chat. See these below:
- ChatGPT can assist in creating a survey or quiz that can be sent out to your email list. This survey or quiz can include questions related to demographics, interests, and behavior, which can help segment your email list.
- ChatGPT can engage with your subscribers in a chat conversation and ask relevant questions to gather information that can be used for email list segmentation. For instance, it can ask them about their preferences and interests.
- ChatGPT can suggest different email list segmentation criteria based on subscriber data you already have, such as purchase history, website behavior, and social media engagement.
- ChatGPT can analyze your email engagement metrics and identify patterns in subscriber behavior, which can then be used to segment your email list.
ChatGPT for email A/B testing
Just like email list segmentation, A/B testing is something ChatGPT can help with in multiple ways. ChatGPT can help you conduct A/B testing on various elements of your emails, such as subject lines, content, and call-to-action buttons. It can analyze the results of the tests to identify the most effective elements and optimize future campaigns accordingly.
By integrating ChatGPT, there may be more capabilities at your fingertips. But this doesn’t mean that you can’t find help with A/B testing in-chat.
Here are some ways you can use ChatGPT’s simple chat to get help on email A/B testing:
- ChatGPT can help you to develop hypotheses for email A/B testing by analyzing subscriber data and behavior. Based on this analysis, ChatGPT can suggest different variations of email content, subject lines, and call-to-actions to test.
- ChatGPT can provide guidance on how to set up and execute email A/B tests. For example, ChatGPT can help you to determine the sample size, the duration of the test, and the statistical significance threshold to achieve.
- ChatGPT can assist in creating different variations of email content, subject lines, and call-to-actions to test. It can provide suggestions for different wording, images, and layouts based on previous successful email campaigns.
- ChatGPT can help you to analyze the results of email A/B tests by providing insights and recommendations based on statistical significance, open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates.
Wrapping it all up: ChatGPT for email marketing
Overall, ChatGPT can assist with various aspects of email marketing, from content creation to optimization and analysis. By leveraging its natural language processing capabilities and machine learning algorithms, you can create more effective and personalized email campaigns that drive engagement and conversions.
More content on ChatGPT:
- The Next Generation of Content: 3 simple ways to Use ChatGPT for Web Development
- How ChatGPT Can Add Style To WordPress & Speed Up Load Times
- The Publisher Lab: Meta’s Twitter replacement, GPT-4, & TikTok enters search ad market
- The Next Generation of Content: How To Use ChatGPT to Instantly Improve Your Site’s SEO
- The Publisher Lab: the rise of generative AI and Meta ad-targeting transparency
- The Next Generation of Content: How to Use ChatGPT to Simplify Your Content Strategy