Frequently Asked Questions
How hard is it to get started? How long does it take?
Creating an Ezoic account will take you about 30 seconds. Setting up takes about an hour.
Here’s the process:
- Create an account here
- Change your name servers or enable the Cloudflare app
- Install the Ezoic Chrome Extension and create ‘ad placeholders’ (these are potential ad locations on a page) and insert them or ‘wrap’ them around your existing ads.
- Apply for Google’s Ad Exchange (ADX) and link your AdSense account.
- Turn the system ‘on’ by device, and start sending a percentage of your visitors through to Ezoic to testing.
How will Ezoic change my site?
You remain in control of what is tested at all times.
Ezoic has two main products for ad testing:
- ‘Ad Tester’ only changes the ads – nothing else changes. You decide what kinds of ads (native/display/inline) to show and where they could show. All the ad variables are under your control.
- ‘Layout tester’ automates the testing and optimization of content layouts (themes), navigation features and ad location – all at the same time. You don’t have to try layout tester if you don’t want to and we advise that sites begin by testing with ad tester at first.
Both products use an A.I. engine that will test according to the Goals you set for the site in Settings>Optimization Goals.
You can choose from 4 Goal options:
- UX focused testing (which will try to find combinations that boost time on site, page views per visit and lower bounce rate and favor those combinations over ‘revenue’ results).
- Revenue Focused (which will weight revenue 70:30 against UX) and
- Balanced, which will weight the testing decisions based on a 50:50 split between revenue and UX.
- Custom. Choose your own weighting to tell the system what to go and find for you.
If I use Ezoic - how much will I make?
That depends on what you decide to select when you set the site up. Most publishers make 60% or more from having ads in better positions, lowered bounce rates and higher time on site and page views per visit.
The system is a computer and will only do what you tell it to do, so when you to set goals for your ad location optimization, you’ll need to choose a goal. In Settings, you choose either ‘revenue focused’, ‘user experience focused’, ‘balanced’ or ‘custom’ goals which trade off revenue (earnings per thousand visits) against a combination of user experience metrics, to get you the results you have selected.
Will the users see lots of ads?
The Ezoic system is smart enough to work out what most users ‘like’ in any given situation through testing their responses to new ad combinations. By measuring bounce rates, session duration and page views per visit, on a per user and per landing page basis, the system can achieve a scientific balance between UX and revenue. Ezoic ‘learns’ how to show ads in locations that make you money but don’t detract from user experience either.
This works because a good user experience will feed into better revenue. More on why this is at point 2 here
How much control will I have over my site?
Only the ad locations / configurations will change. You configure what ads show where and what sizes can show. Ads are controlled on an individual page level & site wide, so you can exclude certain ad spots and exclude certain pages from testing. You decide what types of ads to show. All in all – you have the same controls over the ads as you have now. Ezoic will learn which ads to show where according to device type, traffic source, landing page, geographic location, time of day and more.
There is no contract or minimum term commitment, so you can stay or leave at any time. You can toggle Ezoic ON or OFF for Desktop/Mobile/Tablet and control the percentage of users who get to see new ad configurations at all times.
What technologies do you support?
Ezoic supports all technologies and all cms platforms. This is because the system operates at the DNS/Proxy level. So, whether you built your site using wordpress, drupal, sitecore, dreamweaver or wrote the code yourself in pearl 15 years ago, Ezoic will still work.
What type of websites do you work with?
We work with informational websites with high quality, original content, as well as useful web-based tools. We work with sites that receive more than 15,000 visits per month. We also work with forums, games sites and ecommerce sites.
Who are you?
We are technology company based in San Diego, California. We are backed by Balderton Capital (formerly Benchmark Europe), New Amsterdam Capital and Silicon Valley Bank. Until Nov 2013, we were in “stealth mode”, so we tended to shy away from publicity and press releases. We are quietly working away on solving some really interesting problems and we hope you like what we’ve built and will feedback your ideas to us on how it can be improved.
In 2014 and 2015, Ezoic was honored by Google twice. We were the first North American Google AdSense Partner. We were also an inaugural member of the new Google Certified Publishing Partner Program (there are only 12 of those companies in the USA) when the certified Adsense program was ‘sunset’ in December 2015.
We are also the only testing company to be a Cloudflare ‘Certified Partner’.
Ezoic was founded by Dwayne Lafleur, an internet entrepreneur who started his first online business in 1999. Dwayne was the founder and CEO of Cubics, the first Facebook ad network, which was acquired by Adknowledge Inc in 2007.
You can find Dwayne on LinkedIn here .
How many websites do you work with?
We work with thousands websites reaching hundreds of millions of people each month.
I'm not technically inclined, can I still do this?
Yes you can!
‘Integration’ is very easy (changing name servers or enabling the Cloudflare app takes 1 minute). After that, it’ll take you around 40 minutes to set up your ad placeholders and sign up for Google’s ad exchange. After that it’s all automated, so you can sit back and relax, and let the computers do the heavy lifting for you.
If you need help, we are available 24/7, via firstname.lastname@example.org (we have offices in the UK and USA).