Frequently Asked Questions
How hard is it to get started? How long does it take?
Creating an Ezoic account will take you about 30 seconds. Setting up takes about an hour.
Here’s the process:
- Create an account here
- Change your name servers or enable the Cloudflare app
- Install the Ezoic Chrome Extension and create ‘ad placeholders’ (these are potential ad locations on a page) and insert them or ‘wrap’ them around your existing ads.
- Apply for Google’s Ad Exchange (ADX) and link your AdSense account.
- Turn the system ‘on’ by device, and start sending a percentage of your visitors through to Ezoic to testing.
Will Ezoic change my site?
You remain in control of what is tested at all times and what is potentially altered on your site. Ezoic has two main products for ad testing:
- ‘Ad Tester‘ only changes the ads (positions, types, sizes, colors etc.) — nothing else changes. You decide what kinds of ads (native/display/inline) to show and where they could potentially show. All the ad variables are under your control. Ezopic simply tests and optimizes the ads to help you improve user experiences and earn more revenue.
- ‘Layout Tester’ automates the testing and optimization of content layouts (themes), navigation features and ad locations — all at the same time. You don’t have to use Layout Tester if you are concerned about how it might change the way your site looks. We encourage many users to start with Ad Tester and then experiment with Layout Tester on a portion of traffic later on in the future.
Both products use an A.I. engine that will test according to the Goals you set for the site in Settings > Optimization Goals.
You choose from 4 Goal options:
- UX focused testing (which will try to find combinations that boost time on site, page views per visit and lower bounce rate and favor those combinations over ‘revenue’ results).
- Revenue Focused (which will weight revenue 70:30 against UX)
- Balanced, which will weight the testing decisions based on a 50:50 split between revenue and UX.
- Custom. Choose your own weighting to tell the system what to go and find for you.
If I use Ezoic, will I increase my digital revenue?
In almost every case, testing and personalized ad delivery results in higher ad revenue and better user experience metrics. Most publishers make 60% or more revenue from having ads in better positions, lowered bounce rates, and increased session duration and page views per visit.
Ezoic is a smart platform that gives you all the controls! It will only do what you tell it to do, so when you to set goals for your ad location optimization, you’ll need to choose a goal. In Settings, you choose either ‘revenue focused’, ‘user experience focused’, ‘balanced’ or ‘custom’ goals which trade off revenue (earnings per thousand visits) against a combination of user experience metrics, to get you the results you have selected.
Will visitors see lots of ads?
The Ezoic system is 100% data-driven and designed to deliver visitors experiences built around the optimization goals you have set for them. By measuring bounce rates, session duration and page views per visit, on a per user and per landing page basis, the system can achieve a scientific balance between UX and revenue.
This is a much more accurate way of determining how users feel about the number/size/style of ads that they see. Ezoic ‘learns’ how to show ads in locations that make you money but don’t detract from user experience. Data gives us a much more accurate way of looking at this.
This works because a good user experience will feed into better revenue. More on why this is here.
How much control will I have over my site?
Only the ad locations / configurations will change when using Ad Tester (based on placeholders that you can set). You configure what ads show. Ads are controlled on an individual page level & site wide, so you can exclude certain ad spots and exclude certain pages from testing. You decide what types of ads to show. All in all – you have the same controls over the ads as you have now. Ezoic will learn which ads to show where according to device type, traffic source, landing page, geographic location, time of day and more.
Ads are controlled on an individual page level & site wide, so you can exclude certain ad spots and exclude certain pages from testing. You also decide what types of ads to show and what percentage of your site is even dedicated to testing (you try Ezoic out on only 20% to start with).
All in all, you have the same controls over the ads as you have now. Ezoic will learn which ads to show where according to device type, traffic source, landing page, geographic location, time of day and more.
There is no contract or minimum term commitment, so you can stay or leave at any time. You can toggle Ezoic ON or OFF for Desktop/Mobile/Tablet and control the percentage of users who get to see new ad configurations at all times.
What technologies do you support?
Ezoic supports all technologies and all cms platforms. This is because the system operates at the DNS/Proxy level. So, whether you built your site using WordPress, drupal, Sitecore, Dreamweaver or wrote the code yourself in pearl 15 years ago, Ezoic will still work.
You can keep all of your existing ad demand and ad partners as well. Ezoic is simply a testing layer that does not affect any existing ad relationships or programmatic settings (if you’re integrating with your DFP).
What type of websites do you work with?
We work with digital publishers and websites of all shapes and sizes that offer high quality, original content, as well as useful web-based tools. We work with sites that receive as few as 25,000 visits per month and as many as 100 million visits per month. We also work with forums, games site’s and e-commerce sites in many cases as well.
Tell me more about Ezoic?
We are technology company based in San Diego, California. We are backed by Balderton Capital (formerly Benchmark Europe), New Amsterdam Capital and Silicon Valley Bank. Until Nov 2013, we were in “stealth mode”, so we tended to shy away from publicity and press releases. We are quietly working away on solving some really interesting problems and we hope you like what we’ve built and will feedback your ideas to us on how it can be improved.
Now Ezoic works with thousands of digital publishers and working with some of the most respected names in the world of digital media.
In 2014, 2015, and 2016, Ezoic was honored by Google. We were the first North American Google AdSense Partner. We were also an inaugural member of the new Google Certified Publishing Partner Program (there are only 12 of those companies in the USA) when the certified Adsense program was ‘sunset’ in December 2015. Then, in late 2016, Ezoic was awarded the Google business Innovation award.
We are also the only testing company to be a Cloudflare ‘Certified Partner’.
Ezoic was founded by Dwayne Lafleur, an internet entrepreneur who started his first online business in 1999. Dwayne was the founder and CEO of Cubics, the first Facebook ad network, which was acquired by Adknowledge Inc in 2007.
How many websites do you work with?
We work with thousands of digital publishers and online web properties reaching billions of pageviews per month.
I'm not technically inclined, can I still do this?
Yes! We made Ezoic to work for everyone.
‘Integration’ is very easy (changing name servers or enabling the Cloudflare app takes 1 minute). After that, it’ll take you 40-60 minutes to set up your ad placeholders and sign up for Google’s Ad Exchange. After that it’s all automated, so you can sit back and relax, and let the computers do the heavy lifting for you.
If you need help, we are available 24/7, via email@example.com (we have offices in the UK and USA).